Sunday, August 06, 2006

Stress

Haha..here's a relatively old topic here..Stress
How, exactly, do you cope with stress?
No prizes or anything for those who get the right answer, since there's really no absolute right answer =P

Nevertheless, I'm interested..how exactly do people cope with stress? Successfully, I mean..not that interested in methods that ultimately result in what the chinese would term as 怒发冲冠. Roughly translated as so angry that when rage erupts, it just rushes through the scalp. Ok, that's a literal translation..haha..It's more like extreme rage. Blowing your top. Gone cuckoo. Take your pick. [Incidently, if you can't read the chinese text, please click View -> Character encoding -> Unicode (UTF - 8). For Internet Explorer users, please click View -> Encoding -> Unicode (UTF - 8), read the blog, then click on the Firefox ad on the right panel to get an entirely FREE copy of Mozilla Firefox. It's a super nice browser to use, not to mention being so much more safer than IE. Yes, I do get paid a fraction of a cent for each user that installs Firefox, but that's really peanuts. I do this only because I believe in Firefox more than IE. So there]

Anyway, comments are welcome. Only things I can think of are such:
Know that you are stressed. 知自知比,百战百胜. Know thyself, or rather, know what's bugging you. Haha..
Identify the source of stress. This is critical. Really. The key to tackling any problem is to tackle the root of the problem. Simple application of the principle of cause and effect. Remove the cause and you remove the effect, in this case it happens to be stress. And this action will result in a reaction, which is removal of stress for you.
Brainstorm ideas to either a) Remove the source, or b) modify your actions or the source so that there is less of an effect on you, or in a worst-case scenario c) remove yourself from that environment that generates such an unbearable amount of stress.
Then take the most appropriate action.
However, just coping with stress this way is quite one-minded and not very effective in the long run, I think. Like the emerging branch of preventive medicine, there should be preventive steps taken to avoid such situations from arising in the future. Or, at the least, minimize its effects. Like the speaker from No Apologies said, the best way to solve a problem is to NOT get into the situation in the first place=) Anyway, back to the issue, one should be prepared for stressful situations. Like the patients who are told by doctors what to expect will report less pain after the procedure, those who are prepared for stressful situations should be less prone to its ill-effects.
Anyway, that's what I think. Can't verify the usefulness of all those methods though-_-"
So that's where you, the reader, comes in. Comment and leave your thoughts. Maybe something you post here will shed new light on better stress management techniques. =)
Ok, time to go and re-enter stressful times. After all, a little of healthy stress keeps us fit, in an ironic and paradoxical way.

2 comments:

Trudi said...

How do I cope up with stress?
Answer:
Stress is not necessarily a bad thing. I feel that it keeps me on my toes, trains me up in efficient management, eliminated proscastination and has made me a very productive individual (sometimes..haha) =) everybody has to face stress and it is really pointless to try and avoid it. What I try to do is to always ask God for strength, be motivated and look at the positive side of things, even though those things increase my stress level. I have so many stuff going on in my life now, and I'm going to be extremely busy really soon. I rarely have personal time for myself now. I always have something that I need to do. My current weekly schedule scares me. Haha.. but I'm happy 'cuz I feel productive and motivated. I'm stressful.. but I'm liking it. However, it is important to prioritise your responsibilities. It's not good to try to be Superman and pile up too many things onto yourself to the point where you can't handle all of it. If you can, by all means go for it. But if you can't give your best to all of the things that you're involved in, its best to concentrate on a few and do it well.
Just my thoughts, hope I've helped you in your quest to de-stress!

@nne said...

hahha i normally jus dive into stress instead of avoid. meaning let it robe me of sleep and rest. thank God for frens in whom i can rant out at, who wil drag me out for a relaxing time. Though most times i only got the tv to send mindless info and pictures into my brain to ease the stress.

Normally rule of thumb is switch activities for a while. It helps a lot.