Wednesday, July 05, 2006

NSAID - friend or foe?

NS AID..what are those? (It's not some financial aid package for poor NS people..that's the government's job..lol)
NSAID = non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
Ok, now that that's done, let's get on. NSAIDs are highly powerful painkillers. Something you would want if there's some really serious pain you're experiencing. (What are some terms that lay people would use to describe pain?) However, they are still medicines. Ergo, they come with side-effects. Among some of them include increased creatinine in the urine and as always, possible allergic reactions.
Which unfortunately applies to me.
Since I was a young kid, (ok, this sounds really cliche, according to Larry Choy) administration of certain NSAIDs always triggered swollen eyelids. Usually on the lateral side, left side, lower eyelid. Not a nice sight, and equally not nice to experience. Although not life-threatening, it is certainly irritating. Discomfort around the eye, discomfort among people around you ("hey, something's wrong with your eye dude"). Things like that. So, I've resisted taking them if I can.
Till today.
My dad came up with a nice experiment. Using me as the guinea pig.
Don't worry, it's completely voluntary, ethical and safe.
It goes like this.
Take NSAIDs.
Yup, take NSAIDs. When there's some pain, however minor, just take different types of NSAIDs that I have not yet tried before. It's not a bad idea. Since I might really need the oomph of NSAIDs one fine day later on. Today on the list was a COX-2 specific NSAID. Supposed to be much more specific compared to old-school types of NSAIDs.
Took 1 at dinner. The pain didn't really subside much, but then it wasn't really much to begin with, so that's not really relevent I guess. So far so good until about 2 hours later. All of a sudden my right eyelid starts to act all funny. Swelling appears just below the right lacrimal duct openings. Ok, so there goes another potential NSAID =(
Oh well, another day, another new opportunity. I'll just have to wait till the swelling subsides and proceed to the next candidate. And, not to forget, keep my trusty anti-allergy pills close. Good thing I'm not allergic to those. God knows what would happen if I were..Haha..don't want to even think about it.
So, you've been warned. Do NOT under any circumstance start with those usual questions or put on a shocked look on your face if you see my eye a little swollen. No "Hey, there's a sty in your eye", or a "Appleby, there's a fly in your eye". Okies..good
Catch-22 rawks man!

No comments: